The programme leading to the Bachelor of Arts degree in Theology aims at providing a sound basis in Systematic Theology, Scripture, Pastoral and Mission Studies for the fruitful exercise of ministry within the Catholic Church in an African context.
The programme does not pretend to cover the whole spectrum of theological thought but to instil a theological perspective capable of further development throughout the whole ministerial life of a student. Thus the emphasis in the programme is on developing the ability to think and reflect theologically, forming habits of independent study and scientific research -- all oriented toward a preparation for an effective ministry.
Civil Bachelor of Arts degrees in Religious Studies were first conferred at Tangaza by the Catholic University of Eastern Africa (CUEA) in November 1997. On 5th September 1997 the College was affiliated to the Pontifical Urbaniana University, Rome, for five years. Students then undertook a four-year dual degree programme, obtaining the Ecclesiastical Degree of Baccalaureate in Sacred Theology from Urbaniana, and the civil Bachelor of Arts Degree in Religious Studies from CUEA.
But Tangaza has since ceased affiliation with Urbaniana. Today, undergraduate theology students have the possibility of receiving either degree from CUEA.
For admission to the Bachelor of Arts in Religous Studies Course of study of four years at Tangaza College, candidates must:
- When they come from Kenya, have completed their secondary education and obtained a mean grade of C+ in Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education examination
- Have completed secondary education in their country of origin
- Have at least two years Philosophy of a program from a recognized philosophicum, or its equivalent
- Be recommended by an appropriate religious superior (in the case of religious), or other sponsoring authority as determined by the Academic Board
- Provide proof of English Competency for tertiary level studies at Tangaza College. The normally accepted evidence of having attained the level of English required is: Intermediate Pass from Pitman, First Certificate of English Pass (Grade C) from the University of Cambridge Local Examination Syndicate, 5.0 score (Academic) in IELTS, 500/173 score in TOEFL